Saturday 3 August 2013

Helm types

It turns out I have been using all sorts of incorrect names for helms I am seeing in resources. This image comes from Helmets and Body Armor in Modern Warfare, (Dean, Bashford, 1867-1930). It was accessed at this blog, which also has some interesting discussion on the constants in the concept of evolution as applied to both biological and non-living things.
 http://www.lucasbrouwers.nl/blog/2010/10/bashford-dean-bridging-medieval-armor-and-devonian-fish/




I apologise, unreservedly, to any armets that I publicly labelled as bascinets, every later-stage heaume that I slanderously called a frog mouth bascinet, and all unrecognised sallets. I vow to attempt to rectify this injustice and make an concious effort to improve this cause.

Also, why is there not a line from the second evolution of the bascinet up to the beginning of the armets? Is the rear neck guard from the sallet line the only link to the armets? They seem so much closer to bascinets.

I will use this when muddling through labelling helms now.